Sharing files and folders
As a file or folder owner you can keep your files private, or make them readable or editable by people and communities you select, visible to everyone in your orgniztion, or shared only within a community. Sharing files or folders with communities is not available to HCL Connections Files subscribers.
Before you begin
Files that you upload from the Files app are stored in your repository, hence you can manage how they are shared. If you plan on sharing a file exclusively with a community, consider uploading it from the community or giving a copy of the file to a community. When you do either of these, the file is stored in the community's repository, which creates certain limitations. For more info see Sharing community files and folders in the Communities Help.
To see how a file is shared, open the file page and click the Sharing tab.
Note: If you have a subscription to HCL Connections Docs Cloud, you also can collaborate on an uploaded document, spreadsheet, or presentation file by using a Share option. This enables you to send an invitation to named contacts and request that they view or edit a particular file with you. Sharing in that context is described in the following topic: Editing a file by using HCL Docs.
Sharing a file
- From the navigation bar, click Files, then locate the file you want to share.
- Select the file by clicking the checkbox beside the thumbnail.
- Click Share in the action bar.
- Add people or communities, giving them either Reader or Editor access. If you select Everyone in my organization, they are added as Readers.
- Click Share.
You can also create a shareable link so those who are logged in and belong to your organization can preview and download the file:
- Click the file to open the file viewer.
- Click the Sharing tab on the side panel.
- In the Share by Link area, click Create a Link. A link will automatically be generated for you.
- Click Copy Link.
Sharing a folder
Using folders allows you to share a group of files in a folder rather than each file individually. Sharing a folder allows people or communities to view the files in the folder. To provide Editor-level access to specific files in the folder, you would share those files with others individually.
To see who has access to your folders, open the folder page and click the Sharing tab at the foot of the page.
To share a folder:
- From the navigation bar, click Files.
- In the sidebar, select the folder that you want to share.
- Click the arrow next to the folder name in the action bar, then select Share.
Add people, groups, or communities, giving them Reader, Editor, or Owner access.
Tip: You can add multiple co-owners to a folder that you own.
Parent topic:Collaborating on files and folders