Guidelines for Progress Indicators (Rich Clients)
Following are the guidelines for progress indicators(Rich clients):
- It is recommended to use progress indicators to indicate to the user that a long running activity is in progress.
- If you do not use the progress indicators, it may lead to a bad user experience as the user may try to access other widgets or perform other actions on a form.
Below are few scenarios in which a progress indicator is a must.
Fetching data from a network call.
- Rendering data on a Segmented UI.
- Any “time consuming” activity.
Make sure to dismiss the created progress indicator.
We can design a form with static content on it and use it as an alternative for progress indicators as per the use case.
- Use BlockedUI for Mobile Web.
- Use Block UI whenever there is a use case to block the user interaction while a background activity is in progress, ex: a payments / transfers service call, login / logout service call etc.
- Block UI should get activated whenever the data starts Loading / Service gets invoked. (i.e. when you select an option in a screen, application starts loading the data, here the Block UI should get activated in that screen so that user should not be able to access other options in the screen).
Create a Progress Indicator
Use the below API to create a progress indicator.
Use the below API to dismiss a progress indicator.
Create a Blocking Indicator
Progress Indicator / Blocking UI Examples